Enzo Alan: 15 Months

Bad lighting. Will get a better photo later. 

Height: Update after next appointment. 
Weight: Update after next appointment. 


The past three months were SO. MUCH. FUN. We have been told many times that 15 months is one of the best baby/toddler stages and we agree.  When Enzo is not teething he sleeps through the night like a champ, and his nap is typically 2-2.5 hours long. While awake, he is constantly amazing us with new words and skills. (And hilariously dramatic tantrums, at times. A preview of what’s to come, no doubt.) 


Here are some of the words he has been saying: 
Todd (Ta)

Okay (He says this a LOT, usually while holding something up to his ear like a phone. He picked it up after watching his great-grandfather on the phone one day, saying okay. It’s really cute)
Broccoli (Broccy)
Potato (Tato)
Banana (NayNay)

Ear and Eyes (These two are still hit or miss)
Owl (& Owl sound)
Cow (& Moo)
Monkey (& Monkey sound)
Cat (& Cat sound)
Puppy (& Dog sound)
Donkey sound 
All done (All duh)
Thank you (Tay you)
Sit (Sometimes sounds like sh*t, which is not ideal)
Back (As in, put it back)
Help me (Hep me. He repeats us as we try to get him to help us dress him.) 
Love (Wuv)


He can combine two words or say two syllable things, though that is not super common yet. He can also repeat some of his ABCs when we say them first. It really feels like he can learn just about any word we make an effort to teach him. (Some letters are still hard, like L’s, R’s, G’s, and J’s) He is such a sponge, and that’s what makes this stage so fun. We knew there would be an “explosion of words” as our pediatrician called it, but it’s still surprising and exciting each time we hear him say something new for the first time.  I was trying to create video clips of him saying each of his words but I can’t keep up anymore. 


He started walking at a little over 14 months and so far I still love it. There is nothing sweeter than the sound of tiny feet, or the sight of a pint-sized human toddling around. Especially when he walks with his hands behind his back, surveying the area. I don’t know where he got that but it’s so darn cute. Maybe I’ll regret it when he can run, but right now he isn’t into anything he wasn’t already into before walking. And honestly I can’t say he gets there much faster on his feet than his knees. 


Some of his favorite activities/toys: 
His ferrari push car. He rides around and says HonkHonk. He learned HonkHonk from a music class song he loves. 
Making food in his kitchen, tasting it and saying “Yum” and handing us a bite. 
Pretending to clear out his and our noses with what looks similar to a saline bottle from his medical trolley. 
Sliding down his slide and then walking back up the slide to go again. 
Beating his drum, xylophone, and rhythm sticks. 
Climbing. Anything. We have to be careful when we have the step ladder out because he’s on it and to the top in seconds. 
Pushing buttons on remotes, phones, the tree timer, the soundbar, his parents. ;) 
Hide & Seek + Peekaboo (Holding strong with these two)
Up Down (Says up and either stands or moves his top half up then says DOOOWN and crouches or slumps)
Putting on shoes (his or ours)
Taking off shoes and socks. Usually in stores. 
My dad taught him a beat (Bum, Bum, Ba-bum bum. … Bum. Bum.) that he picked up months ago, We do the first part and he does the Bum. Bum. Initially it was with his fist on a hard surface but now he can also repeat it with words or sounds.
He likes to do some of the motions to rhymes and songs such as itsy bitsy spider, five fat peas, where are all the bees, & five little fishies.  


Weekly, we typically go to The Music Playhouse, The Monon Center (toddler open gym), The Urban Chalkboard (We like the fiber optic class and other unique activities they offer), Grandma Bower’s, Papaw and Memaw Bower’s, and Granny and Grampy Zarro’s. Also Target. Always Target. We need to get to the library more often but it wasn’t fitting in with my other classes and to be honest the storytime wasn’t much different than what I do with him at home each day so I didn’t see the point. It’ll be more worth it to me when he’s old enough to go in on his own and do the crafts. 

And we went on our very first family road trip just a week ago.
We started on a Friday night, driving 5 hours to Sikeston, MO. Enzo slept most of the way. Waking up about every hour to holler then falling back asleep. Unfortunately when we stopped at the hotel and unpacked, there was no good way to keep him asleep so he woke up and was wide awake for awhile. This happened at every night stop we made. It would take a good hour or more to get him back to sleep. He woke up a few more times that night and that was frustrating but overall a small price to pay for a mostly silent car ride. 

Saturday we drove about 4 hours into Little Rock, AR to visit my brother and sister-in-law. Enzo was awake the first half and required an exhausting level of attention. I bought him all sorts of new toys for the trip but he just threw them at me after 3 seconds. (He doesn’t care to watch cartoons yet) I really don’t know how people do long trips all in one day. He fell asleep after lunch. 

We stayed in Little Rock until Sunday evening. We left when Enzo was ready to go to sleep and drove the 3.5 hours to Minden, LA. 

We stayed in Minden until Tuesday evening, and drove 4+ hours to Searcy, AR. 

We left the next morning and drove 4 hours to St. Louis, MO. 

We stayed overnight in St. Louis (At Union Station hotel, which was really lovely. We even had a fully decorated tree in our room!) and went on a Polar Express train ride. We overpaid for a booth, since that was the only way we could all sit together, but it was a Godsend since it gave us some breathing room. Our booth ended up being at the very end, away from most of the people and noise. Enzo could observe without getting too overwhelmed. 

The next morning we visited The City Museum (NOT my favorite place. It’s cool and I can see where kids would love it but I couldn’t WAIT to get out of there. It’s super creepy to me.) before making our final 4-hour trek home. Enzo did pretty well on the way home, but completely expired on us about 10 minutes from the house. We pulled into the driveway a hot screaming mess, but we made it! 

Breaking up the drive made the driving part much easier (I assume, considering all my friends who have made 8+ hour trips with their kids say it’s miserable and when they get back they don’t want to drive anywhere for a week) but it was a total hassle to pack and unpack the car so many times, often late at night. And if we were wanting to go to the beach or stay somewhere for an entire week, meandering there and back wouldn’t leave us much time to enjoy the actual vacation part.

Our dilemma had been do we suck it up and get to our first destination in one, brutal shot? Or drag the journey out? Or fly and lug all our junk through an airport and take a gamble that our kid will not lose his mind through 4 flights (no directs) that inevitably mess with his sleep/nap cycle, and then still have to rent a car and drive 4 hours at some point since we wanted to visit family in two cities. The bottom line is there is no easy way to travel with little ones. I think we made the best choice for our situation, and it was worth it. My brother and his wife always make the trip to see our side of the family and when they do it’s a holiday or race time. There is so much going on + Enzo’s sleep needs are such that we don’t always get to spend much one on one time with them. And Enzo had not met his Great Granny Lowe, or any of his southern family yet so we really wanted to make that happen. It was hard only being in each city for such a short time though.

It was a learning experience for sure! Although we know by the time we go on another trip, Enzo will have changed enough we will probably be looking at it with a whole new perspective. (Please Lord Above let him enjoy movies next time we travel.)

Low lights


There weren’t many struggles over the past few months, but teething has been rough. He now as 14 teeth, including 4 molars. And I believe teeth 15 and 16 are currently working their way in.


We also had a tough time getting him to eat for awhile. My brother and his fiance (OT and OT Assistant) helped us and he is doing much better. He still doesn’t love meat. I ate it while pregnant with him and I cook with it now but he tends to try it and then throw it on the floor. It’s a work in progress. He is getting pretty good at feeding himself with a spoon and loves yogurt so that’s a plus.


I hate to admit it, but I haven’t broken him from a bottle yet. He even gets one right before bed still. I keep hearing how he should have been on a sippy, with no night bottles, a long time ago but honestly I haven’t felt the need. He is proficient with a sippy and I give those to him as well, but he prefers the bottle. He doesn’t use a pacifier and that’s kind of what the bottle is for him. I see other kids with pacis or breastfeeding until 1.5 – 2 years old and I really don’t see how that is a whole lot different from a bottle. We’ll get there by the next update. That’s my goal anyway. 

That’s about it! If you made it this far, you are probably my parents. ;) 

Caught trying to nab great grandma zarro’s cookies.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *